Thursday, March 1, 2007

Ejournal 4 September 2006

Psalm 145:18 The Lord is near to all that call on him, to all that call on him in truth

So far my time in Ukraine has been full of adventure and firsts. Truly I am loving everyday and I am thankful for the opportunity to love people here. Please pray for me as I am adjusting and learning how to fit in. So far there have been many praises and much that I would love to have you help me to pray for.

The church members in Berdyansk are so friendly and loving. People have gone out of their way to greet me and hug me, it is such a blessing to feel welcome. Please pray that I will be a positive addition to the congregation. Pray also for the members of the church that they will be a witness to their family and friends.

Today (Sept. 14) was our second visit to the “first stage” orphanage. Both days Sarah, Anna, and I along with some friends from the church, Larissa, Sveta, and Sasha, have had the opportunity to play with and love the children there. I am trying to learn everyone’s name and play specifically with each of the children. Today, play dough and balloons were huge hits. It is wonderful to see the children having fun and to hear their laughter. One of the boys, Sergey, learned my name, it was so sweet to hear him calling out to me as he was taunting me with his balloon so that I would chase and tickle him. What a joy that was. Please pray for these children, they are so in need of love and have uncertain futures. This orphanage is only temporary, these children will either go back home to their parents, to another family member, or they will be sent to a larger orphanage. Pray also for the children at the other orphanage here in town. We have not been able to visit them because a number of the children there are sick. Pray especially for the health of those children.

Another praise is that Sarah and I are learning our way around the city. Not only have we successfully traveled by foot and by bus (and by successfully I mean that today we actually exited the bus at our correct stop PTL!), but today was the first day I drove. It really was fine, no problems at all, and I am thankful that I will be able to drive us to the orphanage each week for our time there. Please pray for safety as we travel and pray that we will be a positive witness to the people we encounter everyday.

I was very excited to make a friend at the youth center tonight, her name is Tanya, she was about 10 years old, and so sweet. We played Jenga and laughed, I am so thankful that I am beginning to make connections even though I only speak a tiny bit of Russian. When it was time to leave I was able to ask if she would be back tomorrow, so I am looking forward to playing with her again. Pray that God will use me in a positive way at the center. Everyday when we pass the school we see boys that look to be junior high school age standing around in groups smoking and doing nothing, pray that they will see the Youth Center as a alternative, as something to do. Pray that God will use the church members who work at the Center to have an impact on the children who come to hang out. Pray that then God will multiply that impact to the family and friends of the young people that come.

Finally, I can’t wait to start teaching English and learning Russian. Sarah and I have been working on lessons and plans for the classes we will be offering, a youth beginner class, an adult beginner class, and an intermediate to advanced conversation and fellowship class. As we continue to seek God’s will for this ministry, pray for wisdom and enthusiasm, so that the classes will be both educational and fun. Pray also that we will be an example of God’s love. We will also be beginning our Russian lessons soon. Pray for understanding and retention so that I will learn quickly, I so want to be able to talk to people.

Thanks so much for all your love and prayers.

No comments: